WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Monday, May 2, 2011

Saimin—A Hawaiian Staple


Saimin is not simply popular in the islands, but is actually considered the national (or state) dish of Hawaii. Served all over the islands, saimin is also on McDonald’s menu in Hawaii. Check out this web site for more information on saimin at McDonald’s and an interesting story on how that came about.


My oldest son stopped by on the day I made saimin for dinner. Both boys and my husband loved it. The best thing about this recipe is you can add anything you want to make it unique to you and your tastes. And, it’s so easy to prepare.

I served my saimin with chopsticks and a spoon, but the best part is slurping the liquid after you’re done eating most of the noodles and toppings. Yum!!

Hawaiian Saimin

4 quarts water
1 T salt
1 (8 oz) package dried Japanese soba noodles
4 cups chicken broth or stock
1 T fresh ginger (I used the powdered ginger and also powdered garlic)
2 T soy sauce
Toppings (your choice—spam, ham, pork, carrots, cabbage, bok choy, mushrooms, peas, eggs, shrimp, or anything else you can imagine!) I added egg, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and smoked turkey.


Cook noodles in boiling water and salt for 4 to 6 minutes. Drain and rinse.

Heat chicken broth, ginger (and garlic if you like it) to a slight boil. (Hint: I added the soy in the first step and tasted the broth to see if it was seasoned well enough before moving forward.) Add the toppings and soy (if you haven't already), simmering for several minutes. (I dribbled in beaten eggs rather than cooking them first. It worked well.)

Place noodles in a bowl and spoon the broth over them.

You can add additional uncooked toppings as a garnish (I added green onions and tomatoes) Enjoy!

Mahalo for visiting!

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl