WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Thursday, November 18, 2010

You’re Using WHAT In That Salad Dressing????

Aloha!

Here’s a great recipe for an amazing salad dressing. I’ve halved the recipe, as the dressing lasts only a couple weeks in the fridge. As you’ll see from the photo, it makes a good amount. But, if you love lots of dressing and eat big salads every day, you may want to double my amounts.

If you read my blog on Monday I challenged you to guess the special ingredient in my dressing. Did you get it right?

Papaya Seed Dressing

½ cup sugar
¾ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
½ cup red wine vinegar (this is what I used, but you could use rice, tarragon, strawberry, or another flavor)
½ cup vegetable oil
less than ¼ cup minced onion (the full recipe calls for ¼ cup)
2 tablespoons of papaya seeds from a fresh papaya (be sure to remove the strings and rinse them)

Place the sugar, salt, mustard, and vinegar in a blender and mix until it is smooth. With the motor running, add the oil in a stream and blend until it is emulsified. Add the onion and papaya seeds until the seeds are the consistency of ground pepper. The dressing should keep for two weeks in the refrigerator.

The seeds give the dressing a bit of zip! My family loved it and we finished this small batch within the two weeks.

The salad I made is Sunshine Salad which has mixed greens and spinach, thin slices of red onion, slivered almonds, dried strawberries, and mandarin oranges. You can add or subtract ingredients as you prefer. Fresh strawberries or blueberries are always good in a salad too. Add the papaya seed dressing and YUM!!!

Starting next week I’ll be talking about some of the ethnic groups and their cultures.

Enjoy, and mahalo for visiting!

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl