A great big thank you to Brandi Boddie (Brandi Boddie - Penning Praises) for giving me The Tell Me About Yourself Blog Award! Then, a few days later, I received the award from Casey Herringshaw Writing for Christ~~The Audience of One as well! Funny, because I think my award to her crossed paths with hers! Thank you, ladies!
Part of receiving this award is telling seven things about yourself, so I decided to tell you some things about me related to the time I lived in Hawaii.
1. I actually learned to surf! It was fun because my friends gave me a nice long surfboard—perfect for beginners, and took me to an area where the waves were large enough to ride, but small enough for a rank beginner.
2. I also body surfed, but ended up getting dropped by a big swell onto the shore and then dragged through the sand back into the swell. This scenario repeated itself over and over until my swimsuit was totally filled with sand. I didn’t worry one second about my safety—only about losing my suit!
3. When snorkeling I was sure I saw an eel. I yelped and told my friend who promptly dove under to rescue me. When he popped up he informed me it was just a pipefish. You can read about this adventure and see a photo by clicking here: Pipefish
4. I took hula classes at The University of Hawaii and loved it. In the years since then, I have been able to teach a sit-down hula to kids, performed at my wedding reception, and performed at an event at a local shopping center.
5. During my time in Hawaii I lived in a YMCA, then the college dorms, and finally a little house with five other girls. You can read a little about my dorm and see a photo of the Atherton YMCA by clicking here: Atherton
6. While attending The University of Hawaii at Manoa, I was able to take all kinds of classes about the island. In my geology class we ventured into Diamond Head crater and searched for olivine. As well as dancing hula, I also sang in Hawaiian chorus at school.
7. I participated in our dorm’s luau where we cooked a pig in an imu (a pit in the ground with hot rocks that works like an oven.) I served food and danced a Filipino dance with some friends as part of the entertainment.
What great memories!!!
Here are other blogs I visit and am awarding The Tell Me About Yourself Blog Award!
Life Lessons (Maria Morgan)
Writing for Christ~~The Audience of One (Casey Herringshaw)
On the Write Track (Lynda Schab)
From the Heart (Linda Glaz)
Mahalo for visiting!