WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Monday, September 5, 2011

Pau Hana!


The title phrase means Work is Done. Happy Labor Day! How are you going to celebrate this holiday? Are you off work or are you making “big bucks” working today?

My family and I are at a family camp in the mountains. A fun time of relaxing and being with family and friends.

In Hawaii they celebrate the holiday much like any other state would.

The following information on Honolulu’s 29th Okinawan Festival in Kapiolani Park, September 3rd and 4th, 2011 is found at this link:


The Okinawan Festival incorporated the normal events you’d find at most festivals like dance (Matsuri), food, kids’ activities, photo contests, cultural events, and music, but they also have some unusual happenings as well.

Check out the Tsunahiki Tournament (Tug of War) for grades 5, 6-8, and 9-12. They even had team photos and weigh-ins! What a hoot, huh?

The other unique event is a Texting Contest. The contestants had to text a phrase containing information and facts about Okinawa. Sprint provided the same phone to all participants. If someone had mentioned this contest when I lived in Hawaii, it would have been in terms of a fantasy or sci-fi novel!

While writing this post, I wanted to stop and buy a ticket for Honolulu!

’Course by the time you read my blog, the festival will be over. Next year?

Mahalo for visiting!

Cheryl


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl