WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Monday, September 12, 2011

Halakahiki


Pineapple! Of course I have a bias toward the wonderful pineapple. After all, my first book of The Hawaiian Island Detective Club is entitled Pineapples in Peril.


Cheryl's Pineapple Glasses--Waaaaay Cool, Dude!
Do you like my Pineapple Glasses??? I plan to wear these cuties when I am a guest instructor at kid's summer and holiday camps. 'Course I guess I need to get a publishing contract first, huh? Working on it!!

The pineapple is native to Brazil and Paraguay, introduced by the Spanish in the early 19th century. Remember how I mentioned the Hawaiian native fruit, Hala, in an earlier post? The Hawaiians who first saw the pineapple noticed how it resembled their native Hala, so they gave it the name, Halakahiki, which means Foreign Hala.

Did you know a pineapple is not a single fruit, but many berries all pressed together? Another interesting fact (one that I mention in my book) is that it takes eighteen months to grow a mature pineapple.

There are three types of pineapples found in Hawaii: Smooth Cayenne, Hilo, and Kona Sugarloaf. The Smooth Cayenne is what we generally find in the grocery store and the Hilo is a Hawaiian variant of the Smooth Cayenne. The Kona Sugarloaf has no woodiness in the center of the fruit and can be found on the Big Island (Hawaii) in farmers’ markets.

Me, Ian, Ashley, and Shane at Dole Plantation
Here’s a photo of me and my kids scarfing down some pineapple sorbet and fresh pineapple at the Dole Plantation on Oahu. James Dole started his first plantation in Wahiawa in 1900. The Maui Pineapple Company, Hawaii’s biggest producer started on Maui in 1909. Del Monte began on Oahu in 1917.

If you missed any of my series on Hawaiian Fruit, check my posts beginning August 1.

And I’ll be sure to announce when I finally get a publishing contract for Pineapples in Peril, Book One of The Hawaiian Island Detective Club!

Mahalo for visiting!

Cheryl

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I love!!!! pineapple. Now, let's get that story pubbed, it's awesome!!!!!!!! I love !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww . . . you're so sweet, Linda. What would I do without your support???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should wear the pineapple glasses to conference! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so funny, Karla! I'd sure get a lot of publicity, huh? Maybe some weird looks too. Hmm . . . something to consider!

    Thanks for all your amazing support, Karla!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahalo for posting! lol Love those glasses and my kids would too. Whenever we pass pineapple in the store they beg me to buy it. lol I think they just like what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you like the glasses, Jessica!

    Pineapple is a very interesting fruit, and there is nothing like the taste of fresh pineapple. I can't even attempt to explain how amazing the pineapple chunks were over the sorbet at the Dole Plantation! Yummy, yummy, big time!!

    Thanks for your support, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl