WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Magnificent Mangoes


My August series on Hawaiian fruit continues today with part 4. If you missed parts 1-3, check all my August 2011 posts.

One of my husband’s favorite fruits is the mango. I love them, too, and when I lived in Hawaii you could find mango trees everywhere. What fun to pick a ripe one right from a tree and eat it.

Did you know there are a ton of varieties of mangoes? Check this link to see a photo (with labels) of different kinds you can find on the big island of Hawaii.


The mango was introduced to Hawaii from Manila in 1824 and from Chile in 1825. Like the guava, the mango is rich in nutrients. But, unlike the guava, the mango is much easier to eat—more meat and only one large seed, not a million tiny ones.

In July this year there was a Hawaiian Mango Festival (held in Miami, Florida) where you could attend workshops and lectures as well as attend mango tasting and watch cooking demonstrations. You could also purchase items including mango trees, and attend a mango brunch. Check out this site for the full list of activities from this year’s festival:


Florida is a lot closer for people on the east coast or even the mid-west than Hawaii. But I’m closer to the Healing Garden Mango Festival in Kona on Hawaii, also held in July this year.

Hmm . . . maybe I should attend next July—want to join me?

Mahalo for visiting!

Cheryl

4 comments:

  1. YES! I wanna go - not sure if I will be able to afford it or even if hubby would let me go on my own, as he has never been either. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the opportunity arises soon, Kim. I'm getting tired of just hoping and waiting!! Kind of like my manuscripts--always hoping and waiting.

    In the meantime, I'll eat some mangos! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't bring myself to eat them, though I did sniff one before feeding it to my kids. lol I hope you do go to that festival next year! Maybe as a pubbed author? *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't like mango, Jessica??? They are amazing! Especially right off the tree. And, yes, I'd love to head off to Hawaii as a published author! Want to come help me spread the word??

    Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl