WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Monday, August 8, 2011

Gorgeous Guavas

Pink Guava
Today I’m going to talk about a highly nutritious, extremely common fruit in Hawaii (part 3 of my Hawaiian Fruit series—check out parts 1 and 2 from August 1 and 4.)

Did you have it figured out before today that Guava is the most common fruit in Hawaii?

Yes, the amazing, plentiful guava is high in minerals, vitamins A and C (four to five times as much as an orange,) and omega 3 and 6. Here is a site that elaborates on the health benefits of guava:


White Guava
Guavas are native to Mexico and Central America. They probably came to Hawaii when birds ate the seeds and then left them in Hawaiian soil through their shishi. The fruit comes in white and pink.

Guavas are made into juices and used in baking. Check out my recipe page or click for my past post from October 4, 2010: Guava Cake. My husband grew up in Burma where he remembers eating guava right from the tree—the meaty part before you get into all the seeds.

Wood from the trees is used in crafts and in smoking meat. Mmm . . . I’ll have to try some meat smoked using guava tree wood. A unique treat I’m sure.

Come back on Thursday for more information on amazing Hawaiian fruits.

Excuse me now, as I devour some of those rich nutrients offered in guava by enjoying a nice big slice of guava cake!

Mahalo for visiting!

Cheryl

4 comments:

  1. Cheryl,

    Even though I had my unfortunate digestive problem when I drank all that guava juice lo, these many years ago in Hawaii, I would LOVE to eat some guava cake! Thanks for another super post.

    Blessings,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks for your support, Deb!

    I can't wait to eat more guava cake in Hawaii!! Hope it's sometime soon . . . Sigh . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting. You're right, it's a pretty fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it, Jessica! Now, have you tried making the guava cake yet???

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl