WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Thursday, October 21, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?


On Monday I talked a little about the Hawaiian Volcanoes. Now that the islands have been formed, how did vegetation show up?

Thanks to birds!

Birds would carry seeds in their feathers and some stuck on their legs. They would also eat seeds, so when they made shishi (I’m sure you can figure out the meaning of this word!) the seeds grew. Grasses, trees, fruits and flowers thrived on the islands.

And how did the birds get way out there in the middle of nowhere? Strong winds are the probable cause. They blew birds off course. Winds also brought insects, butterflies and bees to the islands.

Floating logs and debris also could have brought seeds, geckos, and gecko eggs to the islands.

Combine this together and you have the lush tropical landscape of Hawaii.

Sands formed by volcanoes and ocean waves eroding away. Palm trees, mangos, papayas, and plumerias arriving with the birds. Makes me want to slip on my flip-flops and find a warm beach somewhere!

Thanks for visiting! Please visit again every Monday and Thursday, and don't forget to check one of the little boxes below or leave a comment.

Aloha!
Cheryl

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting Cheryl. You certainly know a lot about Hawaii...makes me want to visit some day just to see what you're talking about! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're enjoying and learning, Raquel! When I went to school there, I took every "Hawaiian" related class I could--geology, history, dance, and choir. Wish I could go back in time and do it again!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl