WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Monday, June 11, 2012

Today is King Kamehameha Day!


The state of Hawaii commemorates and celebrates King Kamehameha today.

In 1810, this king united all of Hawaii into one kingdom. He is honored on June 11 every year in Hawaii. It is a state holiday, so many state offices and schools are closed.

You might recognize this famous monarch from photos of his statue in front of the judiciary building in downtown Honolulu. He is known as Kamehameha I as well as Kamehameha the Great. He served as ruler from 1782 to 1819.

There are many celebrations on this day in Hawaii including parades, hula competitions, and draping his statue with leis.

Happy Kamehameha Day!

The photo below is from this site where you can learn more about the statue of this great king:




Aloha, and Mahalo for visiting!

Cheryl
The Hawaiian Island Detective Club
Book One—Pineapples in Peril
RELEASES OCTOBER 1, 2012!!

6 comments:

  1. What are you doing to celebrate? I bet it's going to be fun just walking around and experiencing everyone's celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I'll have to save my celebrations until I get back to the islands--that would be in November! But, as for today--I wrote about 1200 words--yay!!

      Thanks for the visit, Jessica! Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete
  2. Woot for King Kamehameha! I just love learning the history of our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, Loree! The more I write and do research for my blogs, the more I learn. Fun times!

      Thanks so much for your support! Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete
  3. So now I'm curious. All these places you write about...have you gotten to visit them? If so, yea for you! Kid Kaboom (boy two) has a best friend visiting the islands right now. One day, I'm determined that it'll be the Schrocks taking the islands by storm. Yes, in flip-flops. Makes me want to every time I drop by here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the things I talk about I've either seen or experienced, but I learn more about the backgrounds and history as I write about them. I'll be heading off to Maui in a few months and hope to pick up even more fun stuff to blog about! Yaaaaay!
      Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl