WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Kapu System


The Kapu System is the class system in ancient Hawaii. Many people think the word, kapu, means forbidden, but in ancient Hawaii it meant sacred.

Three types of regulations existed to provide for their daily living:

1.    Among the classes
2.    Between the people and their gods
3.    Between the people and nature

The three classes of people were: the ali’i (the royalty, priests, etc.), the maka‘āinana (commoners), and the kauā (outcasts)

The really interesting thing I discovered was that the leaders in ancient Hawaii recognized and valued the importance of the commoners. There were obligations and duties on both sides.

This system is fascinating to research. Please go to this website which has excerpts from:





Aloha, and Mahalo for visiting!


Cheryl
The Hawaiian Island Detective Club
Book One—Pineapples in Peril
Keep Checking My Blog or Website for Release Date!



2 comments:

  1. Cheryl,

    I never realized Hawaii had a caste system. I guess I've always relegated that to India's culture. Very interesting!

    Blessings,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading about it, I could see that at least the royalty recognized the importance of the commoners. And the people LOVED their royals!

      Thanks for visiting and supporting my blog, Deb. Hope you're keeping warm!
      Aloha! --Cheryl

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl