WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Monday, August 30, 2010

Jello Comes In Red, Blue, Green, Orange And . . .


White???

Yes, in this recipe, the Jell-O is white. It’s Almond Gelatin, served with mandarin oranges. I love this as a light and flavorful, unique dessert. Don’t know the heritage of this recipe, but I’m guessing it has an Asian—probably Chinese—background.

Funny story about my experience serving this dessert. My family loves it, so I thought some of my relatives would enjoy it too. Especially since I knew the kids ate Jell-O all the time.

Wrong! They took one look at it and shook their heads, scowls crossing their faces. I tried to explain it was Jell-O, but to no avail. So, here’s my warning—may be scary for kids who only know their gelatins to be in bright colors!

I’d love to hear your experience when you try making this treat. It’s very easy. You can do it!

I will post all recipes on a Recipe Page so you will have easy access to them as I share more with you. And, yes, I will try all of them before I pass them on to you.

Enjoy!

Almond Gelatin

1 package unflavored gelatin
¼ cup cold water
1 ½ cups milk, scalded
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract

Mix gelatin with water. Add sugar to scalded milk.
Combine with the gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
Add the almond extract and mix.
Pour into a square 8 X 8-inch pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Refrigerate until set.

Cut into cubes and serve with mandarin oranges, or fruit cocktail.

4 comments:

  1. Hello from Japan. Maggie sent me here...enjoying your posts, having made many trips to Hawaii as it's a way station between here and the States...a great excuse for a short vacation.

    Almond gelatin is definitely Chinese, at least it's considered to be here in Japan...you can get it for dessert in any of the many local Chinese restaurants. Usually the fruit is inside the gelatin...your version looks good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leslie, for visiting my blog! Glad Maggie sent you and hope you'll spread the word. If you subscribe via e-mail you'll be notified whenever I post (Mondays and Thursdays). I'll have more recipes, but also a lot of fun and interesting things to share.

    We have friends in Japan and would love to visit, but never been able to work it into our schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a matter of fact, Maggie told me about your new blog just as you started and I've subscribed via Bloglines from Post #1....^-^ Looking forward to more...maybe you'll motivate me to get to work on mine again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, Leslie! Glad to hear you're enjoying it enough to keep checking back. Let me know when you get one going and I'll visit and subscribe!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl