WELCOME!


WELCOME TO LIFE IN FLIP-FLOPS! Click Here To Visit: MY WEBSITE

To easily read my blog and not miss a post--SUBSCRIBE VIA E-MAIL

You can always comment using the "ANONYMOUS BUTTON."

Or just CLICK ON ONE OF THE LITTLE SQUARES at the bottom of my posts to let me know what you think. Easy-Peasy!

And Don't Forget To FEED MY FISH!!!! (at the bottom of the side column)

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ancient or Modern?? (part 2)


Scroll down to Monday’s post to see why I’m talking about the Hawaiian numbering system today.

The system is pretty simple for one through ten. But then you get to the teens, twenties and thirties! This is an example of how it’s done with the Ancient System:

Eleven is “ten plus one” In Hawaiian that would be Umi + kumama + kahi

Umikumamakahi

Seems simple enough, right? Unless, of course, like me, you used the ancient system to number every chapter in your book!

Here’s the same example in the Modern System:

Eleven is “ten plus one” In Hawaiian that would be Umi + kuma + kahi

Umikumakahi

See the difference? It’s the pesky extra “ma”!!

So I’ve submitted the changes to my editor and hopefully the numbers will all come out correct for the modern system. Check it out when you read Pineapples in Peril.

Until then, enjoy the number, Twenty-Seven!

Iwakaluakumahiku

And for even more fun, click this video to see these adorable kids do the “Number Song” for one through ten!



Aloha, and Mahalo for visiting!

Cheryl
The Hawaiian Island Detective Club
Book One—Pineapples in Peril
RELEASES OCTOBER 1, 2012!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Mahalo for visiting and commenting. Aloha! --Cheryl